Suburban Pulmonary Medicine, P.C. (SubPul)
Secure Messaging – Contract Terms & Conditions of Use
What is Patient Portal and Secure Messaging?
SubPul Patient Portal and Secure Messaging (SubPul), is an Internet program that allows a patient to have secure web-based access to parts of his/her electronic medical record and allows secure communications between the patient and the doctor and or other health care providers like nurse practitioners or physician assistants and/ or the doctor’s office. Use of this service is optional. The point of access for SubPul Patient Portal is: https://secure.mydrsoffice.org/subpul/default.aspx
If you wish to use this service, you must read this form, and e-sign when you register your SubPul Patient Portal account to show that you have read, understood and either you agree or do not agree to the terms and conditions below.
Secure Messaging Guidelines and Your Responsibilities:
1. Your login name and password protect the confidentiality of your health information. Please DO NOT SHARE your password with anyone. SubPul is directly linked to your drug, allergy and problem lists that are part of your medical chart. Sharing your password will give others access to your parts of your SubPul record which includes these items and access to sensitive diagnoses.
2. Please DO NOT send any messages requiring urgent attention. SubPul is NOT for emergencies or urgent care needs. In the case of an emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department.
3. Usually, you can expect your requests to be handled in two (2) or three (3) business days.
4. The provider will only email you at the email address you have provided. You should not use SubPul for highly sensitive health information such as AIDS/HIV, mental health or substance abuse treatment information.
5. SubPul is best used for simple matters like setting up appointments, asking for drug refills, and referrals. SubPul should not be used for complex medical questions.
6. Neither SubPul, nor any other program on this site, is a substitute for timely contact and consultation with your doctor. You should never change or stop any course of treatment ordered by your doctor before asking him or her. Also, emails sent by you must have specific and detailed requests / questions. If not enough information is given in your email, we may not be able to help you.
7. Please be aware that not all of your doctors and health care providers use SubPul, so they may not be aware of information that is in your SubPul medical record.
8. A person must be age 18 or older to request a personal account to use SubPul. However, a person under the age of 18 who: (i) has graduated high school, (ii) has married, or (iii) has been pregnant may request a personal account to use SubPul for himself/herself.
9. You agree that all emails sent through SubPul will be about your own health condition(s). Please DO NOT send messages that are unrelated to your health condition(s). All emails between you and your provider will be moved within a reasonable period of time to your permanent medical record. Asking for advice on behalf of another person (that is not you) could be harmful to you or the other person and is a violation of this Agreement.
10. Patients who are users of SubPul will be required to create their account and verify their identity on SubPul. Patients will be told when there is new medical information to be viewed on SubPul. This means that any person with access to a patient’s e-mail will be able to see this alert. This could include your spouse, employer or anyone else that can access a patient’s e-mail account. Although no private medical information will be sent, the alert that new medical information is available on SubPul may be information that a patient would not want others to know. Remember this when you provide an email address. You should avoid using your employer’s computer for SubPul secure messaging.
11. By accessing or using SubPul you agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions of this Agreement. We may change this agreement and its terms and conditions at any time and you agree that such changes are effective immediately upon posting of the changed version on SubPul.
12. You agree that SubPul is an email service offered as a convenience to patients. You understand that it provides you online access to parts of your electronic medical record and that you are solely responsible for any sharing of its content that you intentionally or unintentionally tell others.
13. Security: SubPul must be accessed with a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) compatible browser or terminal (Netscape or Internet Explorer versions 8.0 or greater). Our SSL web server uses authentication and 128-bit encryption technology. You can tell when you are secure by looking at the location (URL) field. If the URL begins with https:// (instead of http://), the document comes from a secure server. This means your data cannot be read or deciphered by unauthorized individuals.
14. Canceling Use of SubPul: You can stop using SubPul at anytime by writing to, or calling your doctor’s office or you can un-enroll from your use of SubPul Medical Record access at any time by completing the appropriate online request to un-enroll.
15. If we decide that you have broken this Agreement and/or abused the use of this service, or for any other reason, we can stop your use of this service at any time. You will be notified if we cancel your SubPul access. If we cancel your SubPul access as described in this section, you will not be able to access any of your electronic medical records even if those records are with other doctors who use this service.
16. Any conflicts related to this Agreement will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.